If a coven of forest fairies were to have a winter solstice soiree they would most certainly be eating these vegan, gluten and refined-sugar free chocolates. Packed with whatever earthy, superfood powers you want to bestow upon them, they take less than 30 minutes to prepare and are hella whimsical. Make them with love for those you care about: Stir in good intentions, adorn with well wishes and wrap in a pretty box! Or you could just make them in the same way for your magical self…
These chocolates are all about what YOU feel you want to add to them. Intuitively tailor them to whoever you’re making them for! Here are some possible superfood add-in ideas. (And don’t worry, unless it’s ginger or cinnamon, the cocoa will overpower any superfoody flavors):
- Turmeric- This bright yellow spice contains curcumin- a powerful anti inflammatory and antioxidant. Turmeric has been known to neutralize the free radicals that cause cell degeneration. A little goes a long ways! Vibrancy, Vitality, Purity.
- Cinnamon- A very accessible and cheap spice, known to reduce and stabilize blood sugar levels. Like Turmeric, Cinnamon is also a powerful anti inflammatory. Ground, Centre, Comfort.
- Ginger- This spicy root helps to protect against inflammation and oxidative stress. It is also known for its soothing properties and is often used to fight against digestion issues, menstrual cramps and general muscle pain. Warm, Heal, Sooth.
- Spirulina- Also known as “the most nutrient dense” food on the planet, spirulina is derived from algae and contains B vitamins, A Vitamins, Iron, Calcium and Chlorophyll. Energize, Awaken, Support.
- Reishi- This member of the Mycelium mushroom family helps fight allergies, autoimmune diseases, insomnia, anxiety and depression as well as aids in supporting liver detoxification and overall immunity. Protect, Calm, Defend.
- Chaga- If you live in a northern country, this is probably growing in your backyard. Chaga grows on birch trees and is known as the immunity boosting superfood and has the highest antioxidant property of any superfood. Fight, Enhance, Elevate.
Vegan Forest Fairy Chocolate Recipe
-½ cup coconut oil
-¼ cup maple syrup or agave
-¾ cup cocoa powder
-1 tbs superfood of choice*
-1 tsp vanilla/mint/almond extract
-pinch of sea salt
**** I’m using the Chocolate Mushroom Mix by Intuitive Path
-dried edible flowers
-anything else you can dream up!
1. Start by finding chocolate making companions. Like a crazy little sister and her crazy boyfriend. Aren't they so cuuuute?
2. Start by melting the coconut oil on the stove top. Once it’s completely melted add in the rest of the chocolate ingredients and whisk well, being sure to get rid of any cocoa clumps.
3. Spoon chocolate onto wax paper
4.Get creative with toppings! I used mangos, cranberries, almonds, coconut and mint leaves.
5. Put in the freezer until completely solidified.
6. Package in whichever way you choose. I'm keeping things minimalist and earthy with brown boxes, twine and spruce twigs. Be sure to store in a cool place (like northern Saskatchewan), as these will melt easily!